Geological Field Studies
|Hours||3.0 Credit, 6.0 Lecture, 0.0 Lab|
|Note||For nonscience majors.|
Rocks and Minerals
1. Understand the difference between minerals and rocks.
2. Be able to identify common rocks and minerals.
3. Know where and when the basic rock and mineral types form and how they are related to the hydrologic and tectonic systems.
1. Understand how the hydrologic system helps to shape the Earth and how the different sub-systems interact.
2. Learn the reasons for climate change in both ancient and modern times.
1. Learn the basic evidences and ideas that support the Theory of Plate Tectonics.
2. Understand how the plate tectonic system works, including the role of the different types of plate boundaries and the forces that help to drive the system.
3. Learn how the plate tectonic system has helped to shape the Earth's surface.
1. Gain a greater insight into the enormous length of geologic time and the evidences that support this claim.
2. Learn the different ways that scientists can determine geologic ages.