Communication Disorders

Department of Communication Disorders


Chair: Christopher David Dromey

Department Information: 

140 TLRB




Advisement Center: 

350 MCKB




Admission to Degree Program

This is a limited-enrollment program requiring departmental approval for admission. Please see the information below regarding requirements for admission to this major. Additional information is available on the department's website:

The Discipline

The discipline of communication disorders contains two related fields, speech-language pathology and audiology. The field of speech-language pathology is focused on helping individuals develop their communication abilities or regain lost communication skills through rehabilitation services. The field serves persons with speech and language disorders such as stuttering, articulation problems, aphasia, voice disorders, language delay, and similar communication difficulties. Students develop a knowledge base about speech and language development, the anatomy and physiology of the speech mechanism, the neurology of perception and production of speech and language, the disorders that cause speech and language problems, and the intervention and remediation strategies for treating communication disorders. Professionals often work in public schools, hospitals, private or community clinics, or private practice.

Audiology is a profession that deals with the measurement of hearing and hearing impairment. Audiology includes the study of the nervous system and how we process auditory information, the testing and analysis of disorders of the auditory system, the use of hearing aids, cochlear implants, and other assistive listening devices to enhance hearing capabilities in individuals with hearing loss or other disorders of the auditory system. Professionals typically work with hearing aid manufacturers, in public schools, hospitals, private or community clinics, or in private practice.

Career Opportunities

This is a preprofessional program leading to a graduate degree that is required for entrance into the professions. Students graduating with a bachelor's degree in communication disorders may be able to find opportunities to work as speech-language pathology assistants or audiology assistants.

Program Acceptance Requirements

Students must be accepted into the Communication Disorders (ComD) major before they may take 300- or 400-level courses in the department. To apply, students must have completed the following four courses:

  1. STAT 121

  2. CELL 220

  3. COMD 133

  4. PHSCS 167

Acceptance to the program is based on the grade point average (GPA) from these three courses and short essay prompts. The minimum GPA required for admission to the program is determined by number of students admitted to the program (currently 100 per year), and the minimum GPA will thus vary from year to year. Both the number of students admitted and the minimum GPA required for admission are subject to change. GPA data on previous years are available on the department website.

A "pass" in an AP Stat course does not yield the letter grade which is required for evaluation of the application to the ComD major. A challenge examination from the Department of Statistics can provide the needed letter grade. The student should contact the Department of Statistics (2152 WVB) for specific information.

Only one repeat of each course is allowed for purposes of determining acceptance to the major. The application deadlines are April 15 and October 15. Application are now submitted online, found on the department's web site at in the 'How to Apply' section.

Graduation Requirements

To receive a BYU bachelor's degree a student must complete, in addition to all requirements for a specific major, the following university requirements:

  • The University Core, consisting of requirements in general and religious education.

  • At least 30 credit hours must be earned in residence on the BYU campus in Provo as an admitted day student

  • A minimum of 120 credit hours

  • A cumulative GPA of at least 2.0

  • Be in good standing with the Honor Code Office

Students should see their college advisement center for help or information concerning the undergraduate programs.

Graduate Programs Available

This department also offers graduate degree programs. For more information, see Graduate Studies.